Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Here's what's happening in my neck of the woods. . .

From a very young age, I have been a procrastinator.  I put the "pro" in it y'all!  One thing I've been putting off lately (and for quite some time really) is the urge to commit myself to writing in this blog.  I have many excuse, and one of them is I didn't know a good place to start.  Well, I think I will just bite the bullet and begin this evening by giving an overview of what has been going on in my life lately.

The Daily Grind
Since January I've been working as an administrative assistant at a small financial planning office.  I like to describe myself as and Administrative Artist and Manager of Mischief.  Administrative Artist because I do things like taking an example form on paper, recreating it with our office logo, and turning it into an Excel worksheet that produces recommendations just from plugging in the numbers according to a client's circumstances.  I have to give a shout out to one of my sorority sisters for helping me work around Excel's dismal lack of a subtraction formula.  Manager of Mischief comes from trying to read people's minds and work through the bureaucracy of the financial industry.   How did I get here?  What are these numbers and accounts?

Teaching Dance
In September I started teaching dance again.  I teach two classes at a community theatre/arts education ministry.  My students are ages 4 - 7 and are full of surprises.  In October I started the hire process at the Y to teach 3 - 8 year olds.  I'm still getting settled in at the Y.  Kids definitely teach you a thing or two and can be quite humbling to be around.  It's not just teaching them to dance, but sometimes teaching manners, discipline, and conflict resolution.  Oh to be seven years old. . .

Catholic Young Adults
I've been getting very involved in Catholic Young Adult events in the metro area of my city.  My parish is supportive of its own young adult group, but there is definitely room for growth in my archdiocese.  I'm the type of person who likes to be in the middle of things and enjoys meeting new people, so I'm happy to be involved.

Friends, Birthdays, and Nerdiness
When I'm not doing any of the above mentioned activities or retreating in my humble abode, I'm hanging out with friends, often celebrating birthdays in October (a great month for birthdays, I must say).  I've also managed to watch 3 seasons of Doctor Who in a couple of months during weekend viewing binges.  I may or may not be waiting for a man in a blue box to show up. . .

So that's the overview of what I've been up to lately.  Now that I've broken the silence I will try to be better about actually writing more than once in a blue moon.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment